By now you should already have a Member Page in the system. In this part, we are going to tweak out the page a little to make it more fun... pictures.
Let's start with pictures...
In order to put pictures in, at this time we are only allowing pictures that are hosted off-site. The reason for this has nothing to do with bandwidth, but rather it is easier to get the picture from another location on the web. If you haven't already joined Flickr, now would be a good time... I'll wait.
After joining Flickr, join the GBR group and share some of your 4wheeling pictures with the group. *4wheeling pictures only for the group*
The instructions will be based on grabbing pictures from your own Flickr account, but a similar procedure will work for PhotoBucket or most of the other similar sites. I am using Flickr because there are some integration tools that we can use that don't work with the other sites.
In order to get started, I recommend that you have Flickr (or whatever) open in one tab or window and the story to edit in another tab or window. You will likely need to move back and forth between them. In order to open up your Member Page for editing,go to the page or the list of pages and click on the edit icon...
At this point you should recognize where you are...
- Put the blinking cursor approximately where you'd like the picture to be. Don't worry, you can move it...
- Click on the photo icon...
- Go to the Flickr window and right click on the image. There is a choice for Copy Image Location. Left click that.
- Going back to the Insert/edit Image window that opened up,and paste that location into the box that says Image URL. You should notice that the image shows up almost immediately.
- Type in an Image Description and Title. These help the search engines figure out what is in the picture.
- Now click on the tab in that window that says Appearance. There are a couple of things we are going to do here.
- Alignment: I recommend either Left or Right. These will wrap the text around them and look the cleanest. Vary images to be on both sides of the page, or stack them up.
- Dimensions: Please keep the max dimension under 400px. The easy thing to do here is substitute 400 for whichever number is larger and then hit the "Tab key" on your computer. It should automatically adjust the other field for the right size.
- Vertical and Horizontal Space: I recommend at least 3px. Don't go nuts. This just gives your picture a little bit of space.
- Border: I generally don't use them... but whatever.
- Click Insert... you are done with that.
- If you want to move the picture around, click once on it and then click and hold it, move it and let off the click to place it.
- If you want to alter the size, click on the image and then click on the photo icon again. Feel free to play.